The Area Selector is not generating my areaLast Updated: March 28, 2019
This article will also cover:
- Quick Tips for Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I create an area?
- How do I edit or add an area?
Quick Tips for Frequently Asked Questions:
- The area selector will not generate my area! Why not?
- Q1. Are you using Chrome? There are known bugs with Internet Explorer and Safari.
- Q2. Have you named your area? Step 2 must be completed before clicking GENERATE AREA
- How do I edit or delete an area?
- It is not currently possible to delete an area, but to edit, go to Left Nav > My Areas > Click on the one you wish to edit. Any reports you have created will be updated. See the article below to read more.
- Why does it create lots of ZIP codes when I just want Counties?
- Good question. Some data, like data on hospitalizations, are only available by ZIP code. Whenever possible, we will use your preferred area.
How do I create an area?
To begin, pull up a new window. In the top box, you'll want to list which areas you'd like to be included in your community. You can create a community by adding zip codes, counties, or the names of cities, villages, and towns.
In the box immediately to the right, you can enter the zip code, county, or city you'd like to add to your community report. The map will populate in real time.
You can add multiple areas to a map as well.
In the second box you'll want to create a name for your area. This will help you find it more easily in the future. This step is required.
Once you have added all the areas you'd like to include in your community select Generate Area to create a list of counties, zip codes, and cities.
Clicking on Generate Area will produce a list of the cities and counties found within the selected area. You may remove any cities or counties you wish not to include by clicking on the "x." You may also search for any cities or counties not included by typing them into the search bars.
Once finished, select Save in the upper-right hand corner.
If you are Running a Community Indicator report, a message will display to show your area has been saved, you can then close the window to generate the Community Indicator Report.
How do I edit or add an Area?
There are 3 places to access the Area Selector Tool
- Click "Run a Community Indicator Report" > Area Selector > Builds a report (described above)
- Left Nav > My Areas > Create New Area
- Left Nav > My Areas > Edit an existing area